Friday, October 25, 2013

The Parallels of Positive and Negative Group Experience

While I have had many good experiences and bad experiences working in groups both at work and at school, coming up with an example of two that mirrored each other was a bit of a challenge. The best parallel example I can come up with actually speaks to more team work and hierarchical dynamics than I would have ever thought at the time, and the contrast of the two situations has definitely shaped the way I view my role in subsequent team efforts.

I'll start with the bad. As a freshman in high school I took honors Biology. It was a class which was somewhat selective to get into, needed both good grades and test scores in science to qualify, and was quite demanding compared to the work I had done in middle school. My teacher for that class was not very enthused about her job and liked to complain a lot. She used the Power Points made by the other honors Bio teacher at the time and sometimes struggled to answer student questions. That’s just some background, now to the more exciting part. In the second half of the year we were assigned a group project which was to write and illustrate a picture book which related to what we were talking about at the time. We were allowed to choose groups of three. I worked with two other girls in the class, one of whom was considered a class trouble-maker, though I’d just say she was outspoken. The problems that arose were primarily a result of poor administration on the teacher’s part. Extensions were granted to more than half of groups without good rational, but for some reason my group was not one of the favored and our deadline was not extended. This was where my group took the wrong path, and decided to retaliate against her unfairness. All three of us felt as though we were being mistreated, and when working on the project our negative energy fed off one another. Our final project, into which equal work was put by each of us and which was also turned in on time, offered a sarcastic and somewhat mean profile of the class. Not what she was asking for, but still covering the requirements of the project. Of course this only made her mad, and for the first time in my school career my parents were called and the teacher made threats such as holding us out of National Honor Society down the road as well as other things. None of us were considered good students by her after that, and she even called me stupid later on in response to my asking a question. It was one of the worst educational experiences I have experienced. This teacher, the person in the management position, did not respect her subordinates and did not treat the different teams fairly. Thus conflict resulted and questions of unequal treatment arose quite quickly. I still regret not taking more action against her, and ironically, all three of us “horrible students” were inducted to National Honor Society senior year, proving that her talk was purely talk, and that she had sorely misjudged us when we were in her class freshman year.

Flash forward three years, to my senior year of high school. I was again in Bio, this time at the AP level. By this point I had established myself as one of the top students in my grade, and had proved myself to be highly proficient in science. I participated in science fair through all four years and won a gold medal at state each time. My AP Bio teacher (different from my freshman teacher if that wasn’t made clear) was supervisor of the science club and had thus gotten the chance to know me as a student and a person prior to me joining her class. Much in the same way as my freshman year, we were assigned to do group projects. The one which best parallels the situation I encountered freshman year was a video project analyzing the southern blotting technique for a breast cancer gene. It was a group of 5 of us working together, and because of college visits we had reason to request a weekend extension past the due date. Rather than being brushed off as pesky students, this teacher listened to our request, trusted us as professionals who wouldn’t try to take advantage, and decided to extend the deadline for the whole class. In doing so, she both demonstrated her respect for us as well as made sure no group had an advantage over any of the others, ensuring fairness. I was proud of the work I had done and the attitude of the group when working together was on the whole very positive. Our final product stayed true to the rubric, and was exactly what she was looking for. Having an approachable and trustworthy supervisor, as in a case like this, can increase the moral of team members and create a positive atmosphere.

Administrative respect and fairness can be viewed as a gift given to subordinates, like in Akerlof’s Gift Exchange Theory. The gift given by the boss is a collaborative, positive atmosphere, and in return the employees deliver their best effort and ideally the output that was requested of them. Also important here was the strength of the relationship between not only group members themselves, but also between the superiors and subordinates. When it’s a mutually beneficial, things will go much better than if it’s parasitic (to use some biology terms). Age and seniority made a difference for the two situations as well, since as a senior I naturally garnered more respect than when I was a freshman.




4 comments:

  1. Given the interest in biology, how come you're not pre-med? (Only kidding)

    The first example was really great for our purposes those obviously not so great for you. It sounded like the teacher had a chip on her shoulder before the class even started. My one question for you and your group would be - did you consider taking this to your parents or to some other teacher (or the science department head) before you handed in that paper? Tit for tat is the "natural response" but it is not a farsighted way of dealing with the situation, as it tends to encourage further response and escalation. As students, you might not have been in a position to calm the situation in a way that would be okay with you. Some other adult might have been needed for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it shocking that the teacher would be so unprofessional. I have never had an experience quite like that and I can see how that would be a negative experience. It sounds like in your positive example the organizer of the groups played an important role in whether the project was a success or not. How did you handle assigning tasks within the group and what within the group made things work smoothly. In many of the groups I've worked in, this seems to be the largest problem. Its always good for everyone to participate but sometimes its necessary and helpful for someone to take the reins in the project. I can sometimes be very disorganized and having someone to take charge can help motivate and produce better results

    ReplyDelete
  3. Professor Arvan, to answer your question, while I did really enjoy bio, I had no great passion for chemistry and even less interest in physics so while being pre-med sounded nice for a time, it wasn't in the cards for me! In terms of the project, I attribute our reaction at that time to our age. At this point of course I realize that it would have been more prudent to take it to the director or to our parents but at the time we just did what we could to retaliate. It was immature and petty, but what else can be expected of high school freshman?

    AR: To answer your question, in my positive example, I was in a group when more than half of us were competent group leaders and willing to step up and take the reigns. In some scenarios, that has the potential to lead to conflict, but for that project it just kept us all on task and helped distribute the work evenly so that no one felt as though they were doing too much. It's like the positive outcome of intrinsic reward (on the first exam), most of us felt ownership over the project and therefore wanted to see it completed at its best, part of which being our personal connection to the boss in this case, and part of which resulted from the kind of workers we were. It was just fortunate that we didn't run into any serious conflicts of vision because that would be a situation where that could prove to be a serious problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that management style will have some impact on individuals' performance, especially for group projects that need to be ensured fairness. The first example is really unpleasant experience because I think respect is the basic of interpersonal communication. As a teacher, at least she shouldn't make such comment towards students. However, in real world experience, this leadership style is common and we still need to figure out the balance under such administration.

    Your post indicates the importance of outside factors in group project and I think it is helpful. I like that you mention the Gift Exchange Theory because the rewards and respect are important factors to consider when we have more powers and controls in our projects.

    ReplyDelete